Tourism, Culture, Industry, Innovation
April 16, 2019
Provincial Government Releases Cultural Action Plan
The Honourable Christopher Mitchelmore, Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation, today released the Cultural Action Plan that reflects the importance of culture to the provincial economy. Developed with input from stakeholders throughout the province, the action plan is a guide for cultural collaboration over the next five years.
Actions outlined in the plan will be implemented using a phased approach. Seven actions will commence immediately with an aim to be completed by March 2020. The remaining actions will be completed by March 2024.
The Provincial Government will continue its core support for the protection, development, promotion, and celebration of Newfoundland and Labrador’s vibrant culture. This will include:
- Support for non-profit cultural facilities and organizations (and associated activities) through funding programs and advisory expertise;
- Funding support for community cultural activities and events;
- Funding support for Indigenous cultural heritage;
- Operational funding support for The Rooms; and
- Continuation of the Art Procurement Program.
Budget 2019 includes multiple investments to support the growth of the cultural sector, including:
- $1 million increase to the ArtsNL grant program in support of artists, bringing the total Provincial Government investment in ArtsNL to over $2.9 million. This additional investment will increase ArtsNL funding programs that directly support artists to create, produce and showcase their work, building on our previous commitment under the Status of the Artist legislation;
- $3.45 million for the Cultural Economic Development program; and
- $4 million equity investment in the Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation and renewal of the Newfoundland and Labrador Film and Video Industry Tax Credit.
As part of The Way Forward, the Provincial Government committed to a new Cultural Action Plan to help set priorities and key actions towards supporting and sustaining the cultural sector. The Way Forward outlines all actions the Provincial Government is taking to achieve a strong, diversified province with a high standard of living, and can be viewed at thewayforward.gov.nl.ca.
“Arts and heritage are helping to build vibrant communities and regions throughout the province. I am pleased to release the Cultural Action Plan today. This highlights our government’s continued support for culture, as well as our commitment to working closely with stakeholders on the development of initiatives to guide the sector over the next five years. The Cultural Action Plan will also explore current and future programming and funding mechanisms and offer ways to improve opportunities for the cultural sector in Newfoundland and Labrador."
Honourable Christopher Mitchelmore
Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
“Newfoundland and Labrador’s strong cultural identity lies at the foundation of our society. It empowers our communities, feeds our stories and contributes to a strong quality of life here in the province and all our residents should have access to these cultural resources and activities. In our ongoing efforts to promote and develop the provincial arts community, ArtsNL is happy to support this Cultural Action Plan, and its commitment to develop initiatives to address challenges and opportunities facing the cultural sector over the next five years. Together, we must ensure our culture remains strong, vibrant, and adaptive, so we can further maximize its potential and create a stronger and more sustainable community.”
Chair, ArtsNL Board of Directors
- 30 -
Cultural Action Plan
2019 04 16 3:50 p.m.