December 3, 2019
Occupational Health and Safety Charges Laid Following Fatality at a Construction Camp in Labrador
Service NL announced today that a Corner Brook company has been charged with violations of the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act and Regulations.
The charges arise from an incident which occurred on June 22, 2018 involving an employee who suffered fatal injuries while a crew was preparing to move a construction camp trailer from one site to another. The investigation was conducted by the OHS Division of Service NL.
The incident occurred at a construction camp near Lodge Bay on the Trans Labrador Highway. The employer, Johnson’s Construction Limited, has been charged with six counts under the Act and Regulations, which relate to its alleged failure to:
- Provide and maintain a safe workplace;
- Provide the necessary information, instruction, training and supervision to its workers;
- Ensure its workers and supervisors were made aware of the hazards;
- Include written work procedures appropriate to the hazards in its OHS program;
- Implement its occupational health and safety program; and,
- Ensure work procedures promoted the safe interaction of workers and their work environment.
The first appearance is scheduled for January 14, 2020 at Provincial Court in Wabush.
- 30 -
2019 12 03 11:15 a.m.