Municipal Affairs and Environment
July 3, 2019
Environmental Assessment Bulletin
The Honourable Lisa Dempster, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Environment, has announced the following events relative to Part 10 Environmental Assessment of the Environmental Protection Act.
Northeast River Placentia Fishway Reconstruction (Reg. 2031)
Proponent: Fisheries and Oceans Canada
The proponent proposes the reconstruction of the pool and weir fishway in Northeast River, Placentia. The existing concrete structure will be dewatered, demolished and removed. The new fishway will consist of approximately six concrete weirs, a concrete leveling slab, water stop log, three concrete aprons and extended an overall travel distance of approximately 50 metres.
The undertaking was registered on July 3, 2019; the deadline for public comments is August 7, 2019; and the minister’s decision is due by August 17, 2019.
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT COMMITTEE APPOINTED:
Valentine Gold Project (Reg. 2015)
Proponent: Marathon Gold Corporation
On June 13, 2019, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Environment advised the proponent that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is required for the project. An Environmental Assessment Committee has been appointed to provide scientific and technical advice to the minister and to prepare draft guidelines for conducting the EIS. The Environmental Assessment Committee includes representation from the following provincial government agencies:
- Municipal Affairs and Environment
- Environment Branch
- Environmental Assessment Division (Chairperson)
- Pollution Prevention Division
- Water Resources Management Division
- Climate Change Branch
- Department of Natural Resources
- Mines Branch
- Energy Branch
- Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
- Provincial Archaeology Office
- Sector Diversification Division
- Fisheries and Land Resources
- Executive Council
- Office for the Status of Women
- Health and Community Services
- Public Health Division
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Environmental Protection Operations
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Habitat Protection Division
- Transport Canada
- Environmental Affairs and Aboriginal Consultation Unit
Information on the environmental assessment can be found at the following web site: www.mae.gov.nl.ca/env_assessment/projects/Y2019/2015/index.html .
Barachois Brook Cannabis Production Facility (Reg. 2022)
Proponent: Back Home Medical Cannabis Corporation, subsidiary of Biome Grow Inc.
The project has been released from further environmental assessment subject to the following conditions:
- A Women’s Employment Plan (WEP) for this project shall be submitted to and approved by the Office for the Status of Women prior to the commencement of project activities. For further information, please contact the Office for the Status of Women at (709) 729-5009.
- A comprehensive Waste Management Plan shall be submitted to, and approved by, the Pollution Prevention Division prior to the introduction of cannabis to the facility. For further information, please contact the Pollution Prevention Division at (709) 729-7012.
Environmental Assessment Division - toll-free at 1-800-563-6181 or by mail:
Department of Municipal Affairs and Environment
West Block, Confederation Building
P.O. Box 8700, St. John's, NL A1B 4J6
Public comments may be forwarded to: EAprojectcomments@gov.nl.ca
Environmental assessment information: www.mae.gov.nl.ca/env_assessment/
Municipal Affairs and Environment
2019 07 03 4:10 p.m.