Health and Community Services
July 22, 2019

Public Advisory: What You Need to Know About Out-of-Province Medical Insurance Coverage When Travelling This Summer

During summer travels, the Department of Health and Community Services encourages residents to ensure they have adequate insurance to protect against the cost of unexpected medical emergencies. This is particularly important for those traveling to other countries, such as the United States, where health care costs can be significant. 

Residents are personally responsible for any costs not covered by the Medical Care Program (MCP), such as road or air ambulance services.

In addition to MCP, residents with employer health care plans should check to determine the coverage provided prior to travelling. Those who do not have additional coverage should consider purchasing travel insurance from private insurance companies.

For more information call the St. John’s MCP office at: 1-866-449-4459 or the Grand Falls-Windsor office at: 1-800-563-2163. 

Information can also be found at:

- 30 -

Media contact
Kathy Dicks-Peyton
Health and Community Services
709-729-6986, 699-1982

2019 07 22                              12:00 p.m.