Fisheries and Land Resources
July 30, 2019

Public Advisory: Public Reminded Not to Feed Wildlife

The public are being reminded not to feed wildlife or leave unsecured food or garbage where wild animals can access it.

Unsecured food and garbage are typically the root cause of wildlife conflicts in populated areas. Animals such as black bears or foxes looking for an easy meal will become habituated or accustomed to humans if a source of food or garbage is readily available. When wild animals become habituated, their natural fear of humans decreases and they take more chances to access food.

Habituated animals are unpredictable and may become aggressive. While conservation officers endeavor to relocate wild animals when possible by trapping them with humane, non-kill cages, animals that pose a threat to human safety may have to be euthanized through no fault of their own.

If wild animals are near your home, cabin or campsite:

  • Do not approach wild animals to touch, feed or photograph them.
  • Do not feed wild animals, even if you think an animal looks hungry.
  • Do not leave food, pet food, bottles, pop cans or food containers outdoors.
  • Store food, garbage, coolers, camp stoves, pots and pans in your shed, cabin or vehicle.
  • Harvest fruit from fruit trees when ripe.
  • Keep dairy products and meat out of compost piles.
  • Clean barbecue grills after use to minimize odour.
  • Remove bird feeders from your yard in April and replace them in November.
  • Store garbage inside a shed or garage until just before pick-up.
  • When camping, dispose of waste water in a pit privy if possible.

Pet owners, especially those living adjacent to wooded areas, are also advised to protect their animals by:

  • Ensuring there are no food attractants for wildlife;
  • Keeping pets within fenced yards and dogs on a leash or under close supervision while off leash in public areas; and
  • Ensuring pets are vaccinated.

Any unusual behaviour in wild or domestic animals should be reported to conservation officers, wildlife enforcement officers, veterinarians, police or public health officials. To report an animal contact a local Fish and Wildlife District Office.

- 30 -

Media contact
Linda Skinner
Fisheries and Land Resources
709-637-2284, 632-8167

2019 07 30                              3:20 p.m.