Fisheries and Land Resources
June 6, 2019
Workshops Support Youth in Becoming Safe and Responsible Hunters and Anglers
The Department of Fisheries and Land Resources is partnering with hunting and fishing associations and other organizations throughout the province this summer to deliver a series of hunting and angling skills workshops to youth ages 12-17.
Department officials will work with the Notre Dame Rod and Gun Association, Upper Humber Rod and Gun Association, St. John’s Rod and Gun Club, Plum Point Community Youth Network, and the Labrador Hunting and Fishing Association to host the sessions. Workshops are designed to offer introductory level instruction in rifle and shotgun skills, archery, and angling techniques. Sessions will also provide information and education about wildlife and Atlantic salmon conservation, as well as safe and responsible hunting and angling practices.
Participants must pre-register by email and be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the workshop. Please register early as the number of available seats is limited. A nominal fee may be charged to cover costs associated with hosting the workshop. Please see backgrounder below for scheduling and information regarding pre-registration.
“Our government is committed to supporting the interest and participation of young people in safe and responsible hunting and angling practices. We welcome the opportunity to work with our partners to help enhance and promote these skills, and applaud their efforts in mentoring our young people. Angling is an important aspect of Newfoundland and Labrador culture and tradition, and this summer, in recognition of International Year of the Salmon, we are pleased to offer opportunities to share these skills and help pass the torch onto our children and grandchildren so they can cherish this resource in the years to come.”
Honourable Gerry Byrne
Minister of Fisheries and Land Resources
- 30 -
Fisheries and Land Resources
Workshops are scheduled for youth between the ages of 12 and 17 and participants must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The locations and dates of workshops and registration details are as follows:
- Notre Dame Rod and Gun Association – Saturday, June 8 (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). Pre-register by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upper Humber Rod and Gun Association– Saturday, July 6 (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). Pre-register by email: email@example.com
- John’s Rod and Gun Club – Saturday, July 27 (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). Pre-register by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Youth Network – Saturday, August 3 (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). Pre-register by email: email@example.com
- Labrador Hunting and Fishing Association Range Facility– Saturday, September 7 (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). Pre-register by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 06 06 10:15 a.m.