November 5, 2018
The following statement was given today in the House of Assembly by the Honourable Siobhan Coady, Minister of Natural Resources:
Province Launches Mining the Future 2030 – A Plan for Growth in the Newfoundland and Labrador Mining Industry
Mr. Speaker, I rise today in this Honourable House to highlight Mining the Future 2030 – a plan to grow the Newfoundland and Labrador mining industry, which was launched this past Friday.
Mining is a key contributor to the economic growth and employment in our province. In 2018, $48 million in exploration expenditures and $3 billion in mineral shipments are forecast. This plan supports prospecting, exploration and development of the industry. We have the opportunity to increase mineral exploration expenditures, mineral shipments, revenues and jobs.
Our vision is to strategically position Newfoundland and Labrador as a globally competitive, top tier jurisdiction for mineral exploration and development - one that is safe, environmentally responsible, maximizes benefits and opportunities, and competitively produces quality products for global markets.
By 2030, the Provincial Government envisions:
- Five new mines;
- Sustainable direct employment of more than 6,200 people in operations;
- Doubling annual exploration expenditures to $100 million (or at least 5 per cent of Canadian total);
- $4 billion in annual mineral shipments (or at least 10 per cent of the Canadian total);
- A workforce that is more diverse and includes a minimum of 30 per cent women - double the current level;
- Ensuring the province is consistently ranked as a top three Canadian jurisdiction in permitting times; and
- Ensuring the province is consistently ranked overall as a top three Canadian jurisdiction by industry.
Mr. Speaker, Mining the Future 2030 delivers on commitments in The Way Forward that strengthen the province’s economic foundation.
2018 11 05 2:00 p.m.