Health and Community Services
March 22, 2018

Residents Reminded About Out-of-Province Health Insurance Coverage

The Department of Health and Community Services is encouraging residents to be prepared and make sure they have adequate insurance to protect against the cost of unexpected medical emergencies while travelling.

Before leaving the province or country, people should become familiar with the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan (MCP). The plan provides coverage for individuals who temporarily leave the province, but there are services MCP may not cover including some hospital-related charges, treatments received in a clinic or some road or air ambulance services.

If MCP does not cover the services provided outside the province or country, people should be aware that they are liable for these costs. In addition to MCP coverage, some employer plans provide insurance coverage. Additional insurance can also be purchased through private insurance companies.

To learn more, visit:

“When leaving the province, it is wise for people and their families to be prepared for the unexpected. Before travelling outside Newfoundland and Labrador, I encourage everyone to learn more about MCP and what services are covered. People can also contact the department’s local MCP offices with questions or for more information.”
Honourable John Haggie
Minister of Health and Community Services

- 30 -

Learn More
MCP Out-of-Province Insurance Coverage -

St. John’s MCP Office - 1-866-449-4459

Grand Falls-Windsor MCP Office - 1-800-563-2163

Follow us on Twitter: @GovNLexternal link iconand @HCS_GovNL external link

Media contact
Debbie Marnell
Health and Community Services
709-729-6986, 699-9048

2018 03 22                              11:20 a.m.