Children, Seniors and Social Development
April 24, 2018
The following statement was given today in the House of Assembly by the Honourable Lisa Dempster, Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development
Minister Dempster Congratulates Stars and Legends Award Winners
Mr. Speaker, on Saturday evening I was pleased to attend Sport Newfoundland and Labrador’s 11th annual Stars and Legends Gala. I rise today to recognize the award winners and Hall of Fame inductees.
The 2018 award recipients are:
- Senior Female Athlete of the Year: Heather Healey (Baseball)
- Senior Male Athlete of the Year: Liam Hickey (Sledge hockey/Wheelchair basketball)
- Junior Female Athlete of the Year: Maggie Connors (Hockey)
- Junior Male Athlete of the Year: Campbell Clarke (Rugby)
- Executive of the Year: Kevin Higgins (Baseball)
- Volunteer of the Year: David Coates (Baseball)
- Coach of the Year: Peter Densmore (Rugby)
- Team of the Year: Team Gushue (Curling)
- Official of the Year: Scott Critch (Basketball)
This year’s Newfoundland and Labrador Sport Hall of Fame inductees are:
- Laura Breen in the Athlete category (Soccer)
- Benedict Dunne in the Athlete/Builder category (Track & Field, Soccer)
- John McGrath in the Builder category (Soccer)
- John Slaney in the Athlete category (Hockey)
Mr. Speaker, I would like to thank provincial sport organizations, and the many athletes, coaches, managers, parents and volunteers who support participation and excellence in sport at every level.
I would also like to congratulate and thank Sport Newfoundland and Labrador for hosting this prestigious event again this year.
Through their achievements, these great athletes not only bring pride to their communities and our province, but also promote healthy active living. Through The Way Forward, our government has made a number of commitments aimed at supporting participation in sport, recreation, and healthy active living.
I ask all members to join me in congratulating this year’s honourees for their hard work, dedication and tremendous contribution to amateur sport in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Thank you, Mr. Speaker
2018 04 24 2:00 p.m.