Education and Early Childhood Development
January 16, 2017
Supporting a Strong Education System
Premier's Task Force on Educational Outcomes Launches Consultations
The Premier's Task Force on Educational Outcomes is moving forward with the formal engagement process. An interactive website was launched today informing the public of the task force's mandate and providing information on how to participate during upcoming public consultations.
"The Provincial Government remains committed to ensuring Newfoundland and Labrador's education system is responsive to the needs of students and prepares them for the future. We all have a vested interest in improving educational outcomes. I am pleased to see the task force moving forward with their engagement process through meeting with key stakeholders and conducting public consultations."
- The Honourable Dwight Ball, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador
The task force's website includes a schedule of public consultations, news/updates and an option for online submissions. Users will also be able to access a moderated online forum, allowing the public to post comments on educational issues. To view the website, visit: www.ptfnl.ca
"Building a better future for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians will require a high performing education system that provides a solid foundation to allow our students to be globally competitive when they graduate from school. The work of the Premier's Task Force on Educational Outcomes will provide recommendations on improving learning opportunities for our students. I encourage the public to check out the website, to get involved in the consultations process and bring forth their thoughts, ideas and opinions regarding the province's education system."
- The Honourable Dale Kirby, Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development
Beginning January 30, the Premier's task force will engage with parents, students, educators and other key stakeholders through public consultations. Interested parties are asked to pre-register for the sessions online: www.ptfnl.ca or by calling 709-729-4244 or 1-844-678-7599. A detailed schedule can be found in the backgrounder below.
"The Premier's Task Force on Improving Educational Outcomes reflects a deep commitment to providing the best educational system this province has to offer. The task force looks forward to hearing from parents, educators, students, and other key stakeholders. We are providing multiple ways for people to engage in this process and we encourage everyone to avail of opportunities to express their views. We are fully resolved to present Premier Ball with a report that will benefit students and enhance education in this province."
- Dr. Alice Collins, Chair, Premier's Task Force on Educational Outcomes
Members of the task force are: Dr. Alice Collins (Chair), Dr. Marian Fushell, Dr. David Philpott and Dr. Margaret Wakeham. The members have well over 100 years of combined expertise in classroom teaching, school administration, curriculum design, research and program evaluation. The task force has been asked to consider priority areas in education, including: early learning, mathematics, reading/literacy, inclusive education, student mental health and wellness, multicultural education, cooperative education, indigenous education, and teacher education and professional development. The task force will provide recommendations by spring 2017.
The appointment of the Premier's Task Force on Improving Educational Outcomes is part of one of more than 50 commitments included in The Way Forward: A Vision for Sustainability and Growth in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The Premier's Task Force on Educational Outcomes is moving forward with the formal engagement process.
- An interactive website was launched today informing the public of the task force's mandate and providing information on how to engage the task force during upcoming multi-faceted public consultations.
- The website includes the schedule of public consultations, news/updates, a place for online submissions and an online forum. To view website, please visit: www.ptfnl.ca
- Beginning January 30, the task force will engage with parents, students, educators and other key stakeholders through public consultations.
- The appointment of the Premier's Task Force on Improving Educational Outcomes is part of one of more than 50 commitments included inThe Way Forward: A Vision for Sustainability and Growth in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Office of the Premier
Media Relations Manager
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Premier's Task Force on Educational Outcomes Public Consultations Schedule
|January 30||Bay Roberts||Ascension Collegiate|
|February 7||Happy Valley-Goose Bay||Mealy Mountain Collegiate|
|February 13||Stephenville||Stephenville High School|
|February 14||Corner Brook||Corner Brook Intermediate|
|February 15||Rocky Harbour||Gros Morne Academy|
|February 20||Clarenville||Riverside Elementary|
|February 21||Marystown||Marystown Central High School|
|February 27||St. John's||NLESD District|
|February 28||Conception Bay South||Frank Roberts Junior High|
|March 2||Gander||Gander Collegiate|
2017 01 16 2:30 p.m.