Tourism, Culture, Industry, Innovation
May 30, 2017
Provincial Historic Sites Launches 2017 Programming
As part of Tourism Awareness Week 2017, and to help launch Provincial Historic Sites 2017 programming, the Honourable Christopher Mitchelmore, Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation, toured Newman Wine Vaults today and enjoyed a performance of Soldierï¿½s Heart by theatre group Shakespeare By The Sea.
The Provincial Historic Sites network is now open to the public for the 2017 season and will remain open until mid-October 2017. In 2016, these 11 sites saw a record of 99,200 visitors, a 16 per cent increase from the previous year.
The 2017 Provincial Historic Sites programming lineup includes some ongoing events such as:
- Concerts by Candlelight at Commissariat (St. Johnï¿½s);
- Anniversary of the Cable Landing (Heartï¿½s Content Cable Station);
- After Dark (Trinity);
- Voices on the Wind (Beothuk Interpretation Centre);
- Remembering the Raleigh (Point Amour); and
- Lighthouse Dinners (Cape Bonavista and Point Amour).
Exciting new programming additions for 2017 include:
- Shakespeare By The Seaï¿½s Soldierï¿½s Heart (Newman Wine Vaults in St. Johnï¿½s);
- Creative Spirits series (Beothuk Interpretation Centre in Boyd's Cove);
- Great Scavenger Hunt (Trinity);
- Lunch at the Plantation (Cupids Cove Plantation); and,
- Letï¿½s Talk Science (Heartï¿½s Content Cable Station).
"Our government proudly supports the Provincial Historic Sites, as they help tell the unique story of Newfoundland and Labrador. Each year Provincial Historic Sites deliver a wide variety of regular and special programming that provides visitors with immersive, multi-sensory experiences for all ages that celebrate the culture and heritage of our province. These sites provide so much for visitors to experience, including hands-on activities, guided/self-guided tours, exhibits, interpretive walking trails, music, culinary programs, theatre, archaeological digs, and fossils. I encourage resident and non-resident visitors to take the time over the next several months to experience all of what our Provincial Historical Sites have to offer."
Honourable Christopher Mitchelmore
Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry, and Innovation
- 30 -
Explore activities planned at Provincial Historic Sites - www.seethesites.ca
Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation - www.gov.nl.ca/tcii
Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
2017 05 30 3:30 p.m.