Environment and Conservation
Fisheries and Aquaculture
July 22, 2016
Ensuring Responsible and Sustainable Resource Management
Government Releases Grieg NL Nurseries Ltd. Aquaculture Project from Environmental Assessment
The Department of Environment and Conservation has released the Placentia
Bay Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Project, submitted for review by Grieg NL
Nurseries Ltd. and Grieg NL Seafarms Ltd., from the environmental assessment
process under conditions. Conditions of release can be found in the
"The decision to release the project from further review comes after significant assessment, full consideration of all comments received during consultation, and thorough discussion and analysis of critical input from the key regulatory agencies. While our environmental assessment process, once the conditions of release are met, is complete, there will be continued collaboration with our colleagues in the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans as this project moves through their regulatory processes."
- The Honourable Perry Trimper, Minister of Environment and Conservation
The Provincial Government is committed to undertaking the necessary due diligence given the nature, scope and size of the project. Through the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture's licensing process, the project will remain open to consultation and regulatory review.
"This is one step in a larger process and there are several steps that must take place before the project can proceed. Work is now underway to start the aquaculture licensing process which includes a thorough review of the proposed sites and hatchery. The Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture is awaiting formal site applications for the proposed marine farm sites from the company. In addition, Grieg has provided an updated business plan which government is reviewing in detail."
- The Honourable Steve Crocker, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture
Environmental assessment bulletins can be found by visiting: www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/env_assessment/bulletins/Y2016/index.html
- The Department of Environment and Conservation has released the Placentia Bay Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Project from the environmental assessment process under conditions.
- The objective of the environmental assessment process is to ensure that when development proceeds, it does so in an environmentally acceptable manner. The environmental assessment process has numerous aspects, and requires thorough analysis and due diligence.
- Environmental assessment bulletins can be found by visiting: www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/env_assessment/bulletins/Y2016/index.html
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Environment and Conservation
Director of Communications
Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture
Conditions of Release
Placentia Bay Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Project has been released from further environmental assessment. This release is subject to the following conditions:
- Only triploid Atlantic salmon are permitted to be used.
- The Department of Environment and Conservation acknowledges and supports the recommendation outlined in the Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Report (Science Response 2016/034) regarding the use of all-female triploid Atlantic salmon, and has been advised that this is the intent of the proponent. The department requires an annual progress report regarding the phased approach from using mixed sex triploids to the use all female triploids.
- Prior to the commencement of construction activities, the proponent must submit to the Department of Advanced Education and Skills additional information on workforce and timelines for the project.
- Prior to the commencement of construction activities, the proponent must submit to the Women's Policy Office a Women's Employment Plan for the project that meets the approval of the Deputy Minister.
- Prior to the commencement of construction activities, the proponent must submit to Health Canada an inventory of all regulated substances that are intended to be used for the project.
2016 07 22 5:25 p.m.