Environment and Conservation
March 24, 2016
Supporting Safe and Sustainable Drinking Water
Provincial Government Presents Water Operator of the Year Awards
The Department of Environment and Conservation honoured two municipal water operators for their services with Water Operator of the Year Awards. Dale Walsh from the Town of Bay de Verde and Harold Legge from the Noï¿½kmaq Village (Flat Bay Band) received the awards today during the 15th Annual Clean and Safe Drinking Water Workshop in Gander.
ï¿½Each individual who undertakes the critical task of delivering clean and safe drinking water to their community is to be commended for their dedication to this most important responsibility. Mr. Legge and Mr. Walsh are leading examples of the commitment and professionalism exhibited by water system operators across the province. I congratulate them on being recognized with these awards.ï¿½
- The Honourable Perry Trimper, Minister of Environment and Conservation
The Water Operator of the Year Awards are given annually to recognize an employee and a volunteer, each of whom has demonstrated professionalism and dedication to providing clean and safe drinking water. Mr. Walsh received the award as an employee, while Mr. Legge was honoured as a volunteer.
ï¿½The integrity of public drinking water systems across the province depends on the efforts of water operators like Mr. Walsh and Mr. Legge. They have demonstrated their commitment and dedication through their continued interest in increasing their knowledge and training in this field. They are both highly deserving of this honour and I congratulate them.ï¿½
- The Honourable Eddie Joyce, Minister of Municipal Affairs
The Department of Municipal Affairs provides a travel subsidy for participants to attend the Clean and Safe Drinking Water Workshop, through the Community Sustainability Partnership. The subsidy supports three regional service boards (Eastern, Central and Western) in their efforts to engage regional water and wastewater operators.
- The 2016 Water Operator of the Year Awards have been presented at the 15th Annual Clean and Safe Drinking Water Workshop in Gander.
- Dale Walsh of Bay de Verde and Harold Legge of Noï¿½kmaq Village (Flat Bay Band) received the Water Operator and Volunteer Water Operator of the Year awards, respectively.
- The Department of Municipal Affairs provides a travel subsidy for participants to attend the workshop.
- Information about the Clean and Safe Drinking Water Workshop and the Water Operator of the Year Awards is available at www.gov.nl.ca/env.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Environment and
Director of Communications
Department of Municipal Affairs
2016 03 24 1:40 p.m.