Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development
June 15, 2016
Commemorating the First World War
Scotiabank Joins Province in First World War Commemoration - Funds New Volunteer Program at The Rooms
Today, Ken Birmingham, District Vice President, Newfoundland Southeast and Labrador District at Scotiabank, presented Tom Foran, Chair of The Rooms Corporation, and Dean Brinton, CEO of The Rooms Corporation with a $350,000 donation to The Rooms Where Once They Stood We Stand capital campaign.
ï¿½Scotiabank has a long history of supporting the arts, culture and heritage in this country. We are pleased to be able to support the efforts of The Rooms and its volunteer program as they prepare to commemorate this very significant moment in Newfoundland and Labradorï¿½s history, the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel and the First World War. We know the importance of volunteers in telling these important stories from our past and hope the community takes part in this program for years to come.ï¿½
- Ken Birmingham, District Vice President, Newfoundland Southeast and Labrador District at Scotiabank
On July 1, The Rooms has invited the people of Newfoundland and Labrador to join with them to pay tribute to all those who sacrificed and served the Province during First World War. This meaningful anniversary will be the first event to take place with the help of The Rooms Volunteer Program sponsored by Scotiabank.
ï¿½The Rooms would not be able to deliver the excellent programs that we are known for without the help of a very dedicated team of volunteers. To be able to expand our Volunteer Program with the help from Scotiabank is a vision realised. It allows us to augment a robust schedule of relevant activities and events that engage our visitors ï¿½ sustaining our very important place with the People of this Province.ï¿½
- Tom Foran, Chair of The Rooms Corporation and Co-Chair of The Rooms capital campaign
Further details and recruitment information for The Rooms Volunteer Program sponsored by Scotiabank will be announced later this fall.
- Today, Ken Birmingham, District Vice President, Newfoundland Southeast and Labrador District at Scotiabank, presented Tom Foran, Chair of The Rooms Corporation, and Dean Brinton, CEO of The Rooms Corporation with a $350,000 contribution to The Rooms Where Once They Stood We Stand capital campaign.
- The donation launches The Rooms Volunteer Program sponsored by Scotiabank
- The Rooms has organized the largest project for the commemoration of the hundredth anniversary of the First World War in the country.
- The Rooms has invited the people of this Province to join with them on July 1 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel and the First World War.
- Through a global community investment strategy, Scotiabank and its employees support causes at a grassroots level. Recognized as a leader for our charitable donations and philanthropic activities, in 2015, Scotiabank contributed $67 million to help our communities around the world.
- Scotiabank is Canadaï¿½s international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and Asia-Pacific. It is dedicated to helping 23 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
- With a team of more than 89,000 employees and assets of $895 billion (as at April 30, 2016), Scotiabank trades on the Toronto (TSX: BNS) and New York Exchanges (NYSE: BNS).
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Business, Tourism, Culture
and Rural Development
Public, Corporate and Government Affairs
2016 06 15 11:20 a.m.