Fisheries and Aquaculture
December 10, 2014
Supporting Innovation and Economic Development
Icewater Seafoods Inc. Receives $200,000 to Enhance Cod Processing Facility
Icewater Seafoods Inc., a processing company based in Arnold’s Cove that specializes in cod and groundfish products, will receive $200,000 from the Provincial Government to help install new equipment that will significantly boost product yield and quality. The Honourable Vaughn Granter, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture, announced the funding through the Fisheries Technology and New Opportunities Program today. This funding will support the installation of Icelandic heading and mincing equipment that is new to the fish processing industry in Newfoundland and Labrador.
“Our government is pleased to contribute $200,000 toward the installation of this unique equipment − the first of its kind in Newfoundland and Labrador. Helping industry players like Icewater Seafoods invest in leading technologies strengthens the company’s ability to compete effectively in markets throughout the world, and strengthens our cod sector.”
- The Honourable Vaughn Granter, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture
The new mincing technology is anticipated to increase mince value while the new heading machine will increase product yield. By implementing these new technologies Icewater Seafoods will produce a better quality product for the competitive fresh/frozen market for cod.
“We are pleased to receive this new funding. Our company works very hard to provide jobs and other economic benefit to the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. For generations we have been a part of the fishery in our province. Our partnership with the Provincial Government will be an important part of our future success.”
- Alberto Wareham, President and Chief Executive Officer of Icewater Seafoods Inc.
The new equipment is expected to be fully integrated into Icewater Seafoods Inc.’s processing line before the start of the 2015 cod fishing season.
- Minister Vaughn Granter today announced $200,000 to help Icewater Seafoods Inc. install two pieces of equipment at its Arnold’s Cove plant.
- Icewater Seafoods currently employs more than 150 people at peak operation and procures its raw material, primarily cod, from more than 3,000 fish harvesters around the province.
- Budget 2014: Shared Prosperity, Fair Society, Balanced Outlook includes $4 million over the next two years for the Fisheries Technology and New Opportunities Program.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture
2014 12 10 10:20 a.m.