May 26, 2001
(Government Services and Lands)
Minister appoints commissioner
of petroleum products pricing
Walter Noel, Minister of Government Services
and Lands, today announced that George Saunders of Bishop�s Falls has been
appointed as commissioner of petroleum products pricing effective
immediately. The minister also announced that the Office of the Commissioner
will be located in Grand Falls-Windsor.
Mr. Noel said: "Mr. Saunders is a
respected educator and businessman, well-known for his community
involvement, and I know that he will do an excellent job for the consumers
of this province.
"Consumers have made it clear to
government that they lack confidence in the way petroleum products are
priced and that they are displeased with price fluctuations. Now that the Act
Respecting Petroleum Products has been passed, our goal is to restore
consumer confidence and ensure price changes occur on a regular basis.
"I have asked Mr. Saunders to move
quickly to set up his office and begin work as soon as possible.
"Mr. Saunders now has the authority to
adjust and monitor increases and decreases for gasoline prices and he can
exercise this discretion during the summer driving season. Prior to
establishing a detailed pricing regime, Mr. Saunders will conduct further
research and hold extensive consultations with affected parties.
"Much work has been done in preparing
for the establishment of this office and I am pleased that we have been able
to respond, in such a meaningful way, to the wishes and concerns of
consumers in our province.
"While the Office of the Commissioner
will ensure reasonable prices are charged, it can not guarantee lower prices
unless existing prices are deemed to be unwarranted. Prices will remain
primarily determined by world oil prices."
Media contact: Rick Callahan, Director of
Communications, (709) 729-4860.
T. George Saunders
- Biographical Information
- Memorial University of Newfoundland, B.A.
(English, History) 1971; B.Ed., 1971, Master of Educational
Administration - 1989.
- Also studied at University of Windsor,
Ontario - 1973; (addiction research)
- High school, Honours Matriculation - 1966.
- Teacher - Employed with the Exploits
Valley Integrated School Board as senior high school special services
teacher in Bishop�s Falls from 1976 to 2000, retired in June of 2000.
- Area director, Alcohol and Drug Dependency
Commission, Central Newfoundland, 1973 to 1975.
- Self-employment: private consultant - 1976
- present. Represented clients before Workers� Compensation Board;
Canada Pension Plan Review Tribunal; Employment Insurance Review
Commission; Municipal Government Appeal Board, and other commissions.
Community and Provincial Involvement:
- First elected to municipal politics in
1972 at the age of 22, as councilor. Elected mayor of Bishop�s Falls
in 1973, and served four successive terms until retirement in 1993.
- Member, Board of Directors of Central
Newfoundland Hospital, 1970 to 1975.
- Member of Board of Directors, Exploits
Valley Development Association, 1978 to 1985.
- Founding chairman of Exploits Regional
Services Board, 1979, and served as chairman of the board until 1982,
with two successive terms in 1985 and 1987.
- Chairman, Exploits Valley Salmon Festival
Committee, 1986 to 1987.
- Member, Exploits Local Economic
Development Corporation, Botwood, 1988 to 1993.
- Founding chairman, Bishop�s Falls
Development Corporation, 1988 to 1992.
- Elected, Board of Directors, Newfoundland
and Labrador Federation of Municipalities, 1991 to 1992.
- Appointed to Social Policy Advisory
Committee, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1995 to 1998.
- Appointed to Premier�s Council on Social
Development which is responsible for development and implementation of
the province�s strategic social plan ( 1998 to present). Serves on the
social audit sub-committee of the board
- Member, Community Editorial Board of the
Evening Telegram, 1999.
- Member, Newfoundland and Labrador
Voluntary Services Medal Commission, 1999 to present.
- Chairman, 2000 Come Home Year
Celebrations, Town of Bishop�s Falls, 2000.
- Appointed chairman, Central Newfoundland
Municipal Appeals Board, 2000.
- Member, Bishop�s Falls Historical
Society Board of Directors, 2001.
- Awarded the Canada 125 Anniversary Medal
for voluntary services to the municipality, region and to the province,
- Newfoundland and Labrador, Municipal
Service Award, 1993 in recognition of 20 years of service to municipal
government in the province.
2001 05 26 9:00 a.m.