Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
April 30, 2018

Call for Proposals Issued for Cell Service Pilot Project

In an effort to support cellular communications as an economic development enabler and contributor to improving the viability of communities, the Provincial Government today issued a call for proposals for a cellular service pilot project. The objective of the pilot is to obtain proposals primarily for communities that do not have or have limited access to cellular service.

As part of Budget 2018 and through the Regional Development Fund, the Provincial Government will invest $1 million for a new cost-shared cellular service pilot program that will contribute up to a maximum of 25 per cent of project costs towards cellular coverage infrastructure upgrades. The remaining 75 per cent will be provided by the service provider, municipalities, private ventures and/or regional government partnerships.

The Provincial Government recognizes that modern telecommunications services are fundamental to economic prosperity, social development, and global competitiveness. The pilot project will support communities and private sector businesses as well as enhance regional economic development and diversification priorities and innovative partnerships.

Interested parties can view the call for proposals at www.tcii.gov.nl.ca/.

Initiatives such as this support The Way Forward, government’s plan for creating the long term conditions for growth in our province.

Quote
“I am excited about this new pilot project and the opportunities it presents throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, particularly in rural areas of the province. Through joint partnerships we will work to help facilitate new investments in the province’s cellular service infrastructure to improve the business case for telecommunication carriers to expand coverage and provide service to communities that are currently unserved. I encourage providers and communities to work together to avail of this funding.”
Honourable Christopher Mitchelmore
Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation

- 30 -

Learn More
Call for proposals for a cellular service pilot project - www.tcii.gov.nl.ca/.

Follow us on Twitter: @GovNL external link icon and @TCII_GovNL external link icon

Media contact
Eric Humber
Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
709-729-4819, 725-9655
erichumber@gov.nl.ca

BACKGROUNDER

The Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation (TCII) is seeking innovative and customized cellular service partnerships from communities, economic development partners and industry. Partnerships using innovative use of traditional cellular protocols and other mobile broadband solutions are strongly encouraged. Eligible proponents include Newfoundland and Labrador organizations with an economic-focused mandate, including, but not limited to communities/municipalities; non-profit community, business or regional development organizations; and other non-profit community-oriented organizations.

The initiative is a cost-shared cellular service funding pilot project through which TCII will contribute a maximum of 25 per cent towards project costs of cellular coverage infrastructure upgrades/enhancements. The remaining balance of 75 per cent is to be provided by service provider/carriers, municipalities, private ventures and/or regional/government partnerships where an economic development case can be demonstrated.

Proposals submitted for funding under the cell service funding policy must demonstrate economic impacts and benefits, such as:

  • Sector growth within a region;
  • Improved business viability in the community;
  • Removal of barriers to business development growth;
  • Support communities, private sector and regional economic development and diversification priorities and innovative partnerships;
  • Support new and existing business needs, contributing to rural job creation opportunities;
  • Support tourism development strategies to increase visitation and enhance visitor experiences;
  • Improve health, public safety and security communication requirements; and
  • Support other regional and municipal initiatives.

Decisions will be made as proposals are assessed, with the final submission date of September 30, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. Submissions from interested proponents should be directed to:

Hayward Keats
Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
709-729-0677
HaywardKeats@gov.nl.ca

The Request for Proposals can be found www.tcii.gov.nl.ca/.

2018 04 30                              11:35 a.m.