House of Assembly
December 4, 2017
House of Assembly Launches New Website
The Speaker of the House of Assembly, the Honourable Perry Trimper, is pleased to announce that the House of Assembly has launched a new website, effective today (Monday, December 4). The new site can still be accessed at www.assembly.nl.ca .
The House of Assembly website last went through a substantial redesign in 2007, precipitated by recommendations of Rebuilding Confidence: Report of the Review Commission on Constituency Allowances and Related Matters (Green Report). The website was viewed as having a key role in providing information to the public, and since that time has been pivotal in enabling the House of Assembly to establish high standards of transparency, accountability and proactive disclosure with respect to its operations.
Users of the website will still be able to access important information such as webcasts and Hansards of House proceedings, progress of bills, tabled documents, as well as Member biographies, contact information and expense reports. Among the biggest improvements is the use of adaptive design which will provide optimal functionality of most content on mobile devices. There have also been improvements to the organization of content making it easier to find, as well as the addition of new content such as educational videos. More detailed information is outlined in the backgrounder below.
“The House of Assembly website facilitates the communication of important information to the public regarding the parliamentary process, Members of the House of Assembly, and other aspects of our operations. I am confident the new website will allow the Legislature to uphold its high standards of proactive disclosure and transparency, while improving accessibility through changes in organization, design and functionality.”
– Honourable Perry Trimper, Speaker of the House of Assembly
- 30 -
Follow us on Twitter: @NL_HOA
House of Assembly
Changes and improvements to the new House of Assembly website include:
- New look and colour scheme.
- Mobile-friendly design for most content.
- Quick links on the main page for sections that are heavily accessed.
- Educational videos on the history of governance in Newfoundland and Labrador; the House of Assembly Chamber; and Business of the House.
- Improved organization of Member biographies and contact information in a sortable table by name, electoral district or party affiliation.
- Improved organization of Member expense reports in a sortable table by name or electoral district.
- Newly designed seating plan for the House of Assembly Chamber that includes a photo of the Member, in addition to his/her electoral district, portfolio or office holder position.
- “Today in the House” section on the main page to provide users with quick updates on the activities of the Legislature at a glance.
Note: the Legislation section is still under development and will not have the same functionality as other parts of the website. Its organization and functionality will continue as it was on our previous site.
2017 12 04 9:40 a.m.