Health and Community Services
January 19, 2017
Investing in Mental Health Care
Psychiatric Assessment Unit to be Redeveloped
The Psychiatric Assessment Unit at the Waterford Hospital in St. John’s will be redeveloped to improve patient experience and enhance care. The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is investing $650,000 in the project which will provide for renovated space and increased staffing, including an additional registered nurse position. The Psychiatric Assessment Unit is the only dedicated emergency room for mental health issues in the province.
“Deficiencies in the Psychiatric Assessment Unit must be addressed while we continue to work to replace the Waterford Hospital. This redevelopment plan is an important transition that will ensure people in mental health crisis, and the staff who care for them, have access to a high quality facility that meets their needs.”
- The Honourable John Haggie, Minister of Health and Community Services
Renovations will help enhance patient comfort and privacy by increasing the size of the Psychiatric Assessment Unit and by providing an aesthetically appropriate environment for providing mental health care. This includes:
- Improved waiting room and registration/triage space;
- Increased privacy for patients with additional interview rooms available once a patient has been triaged;
- Better patient flow through the unit that balances the safety of patients, families and staff; and
- Increased space for patients and staff offering a more recovery-oriented experience.
“CMHA-NL supports improvements that enhance the patient experience, comfort, and privacy in facilities where mental health services are delivered throughout the province. We hope that the Provincial Government will continue to take steps toward overall system improvements based on the evidence from consultations with persons with lived experience, their families, professionals, nonprofit mental health organizations, and all concerned citizens.”
- Dan Goodyear, CEO, Canadian Mental Health Association, Newfoundland and Labrador
Renovations are expected to begin in the coming weeks. The recruitment for an additional registered nurse will begin immediately.
Minister Haggie will be available to media today (Thursday, January 19) at 12:30 p.m. in front of the House of Assembly, Confederation Building, East Block, to discuss this project and the impact it will have on patients and staff.
- The Psychiatric Assessment Unit at the Waterford Hospital in St. John’s will be redeveloped through a Provincial Government investment of $650,000.
- Renovations and increased staffing levels will help improve the patient experience and enhance care.
- Renovations will help increase patient comfort and privacy and are expected to begin in the coming weeks.
- 30 -
Media Relations Manager
Department of Health and Community Services
CEO, Canadian Mental Health Association,
Newfoundland and Labrador
2017 01 19 10:25 a.m.