January 26, 2017
Prioritizing Strong Fiscal Management
Provincial Government Seeks Feedback through Pre-budget Consultations
The Provincial Government is hosting consultation sessions in 11 locations around the province to seek the input of the public and stakeholders on Budget 2017. Sessions will be hosted by ministers and parliamentary secretaries from February 2 to 13, and will focus on advancing priorities identified in The Way Forward: A Vision for Sustainability and Growth in Newfoundland and Labrador.
“We want to hear from the people of this province about our plan as outlined in The Way Forward, and on how we can do more to find short and long-term sustainable solutions for this province’s finances. We have taken steps over the last year to address Newfoundland and Labrador’s very serious fiscal situation and we need to continue to take action to ensure we return to surplus by 2022-23.”
- The Honourable Cathy Bennett, Minister of Finance and President of Treasury Board
This year’s pre-budget consultations will be guided by the four focused areas of The Way Forward, which provide a solid plan to improve the province’s financial situation while delivering effective programs and services. Stakeholders will be asked for their feedback in outlining priorities under these areas:
- A more efficient public service
- A stronger economic foundation
- Better services
- Better outcomes
“The Way Forward provides real actions to achieve our goals and get better outcomes from our programs and services. We are looking inside all government organizations for savings and to identify opportunities where we can – and have to – work smarter and deliver services more efficiently. In order to do that, we need to work together to continue to find ways to address our fiscal situation. We must take the necessary actions today to ensure long-term sustainability for our province and its people.”
- Minister Bennett
The schedule of pre-budget consultations can be found in the backgrounder below. Interested stakeholders and members of the public can register for one of the sessions or provide input through a written submission by visiting: www.fin.gov.nl.ca/fin/budget/prebudget2017/.
- The Provincial Government is hosting consultation sessions in 11 locations around the province to seek the input of the public and stakeholders on Budget 2017.
- Pre-budget consultations will be held throughout the province from February 2 to 13 and will focus on priorities identified in The Way Forward: A Vision for Sustainability and Growth in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The Provincial Government has taken steps over the last year to address Newfoundland and Labrador’s serious fiscal situation. Further action is needed to ensure the province is in a strong financial position and returns to surplus by 2022-23.
- To register for one of the Pre-Budget Consultations or to provide input through a written submission, visit www.fin.gov.nl.ca/fin/budget/prebudget2017/.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Finance
Pre-budget consultations will be taking place at the following dates and locations:
|Thursday, February 2||St. John’s||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||Knights of Columbus,
49 St. Clare Avenue
|Thursday, February 2||Gander||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||Albatross Hotel,
114 Trans-Canada Highway
|Thursday, February 2||Grand Falls-Windsor||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||St. Joseph’s Hall,
5 Station Road
|Thursday, February 2||Clarenville||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||College of the North Atlantic – Cafeteria,
69 Pleasant Street
|Thursday, February 2||St. Anthony||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||Grenfell Interpretation Centre,
4 Maraval Road
|Friday, February 3||Marystown||2 p.m. – 4 p.m.||Marystown Hotel –
76 Ville Marie Drive
|Tuesday, February 7||Labrador West||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||Arts and Culture Centre,
300 Hudson Drive
|Thursday, February 9||Harbour Grace||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||The SPLASH Centre,
30A Cathedral Street
|Thursday, February 9||Stephenville||2 p.m. – 4 p.m.||Arts and Culture Centre,
380 Massachusetts Drive
|Monday, February 13||Corner Brook||2 p.m. – 4 p.m.||Corner Brook Civic Centre,
1 Canada Games Place
|Monday, February 13||Happy Valley-Goose Bay||7 p.m. – 9 p.m.||The Labrador Friendship Centre,
49 Grenfell Street
2017 01 26 3:10 p.m.