Transportation and Works
February 21, 2017
Next Phase of Team Gushue Highway Moves Forward
A tender has been issued for the next phase of the construction of the Team Gushue Highway, which will see the highway extended from Kenmount Road to Topsail Road. Once completed, the highway will connect the Outer Ring Road to Pitt’s Memorial Drive.
“Moving forward with major transportation infrastructure projects such as the Team Gushue Highway reflects the vision of The Way Forward to build a stronger economic foundation for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. This priority investment helps to grow our economy, create jobs and support our skilled labour force.”
- The Honourable Dwight Ball, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador
The next phase of the Team Gushue Highway will include crushing activities, paving, construction of a concrete median, street lighting, overhead sign bridge structures, the Topsail Square underpass, and design work for the Topsail Road overpass.
“Continuing the Team Gushue Highway will improve the transportation network in the greater St. John’s area, helping to increase traffic flow between St. John’s and Mount Pearl, benefiting residents and businesses.”
- The Honourable Al Hawkins, Minister of Transportation and Works
Construction of Team Gushue Highway is cost-shared equally with the Federal Government under the Build Canada Fund. Over the past year, the project has advanced with the completion of the Blackmarsh Road Overpass, installation of storm sewers in the Kenmount Road interchange area, a road safety audit of the project, project management and engineering work.
“Our government is committed to enhancing services for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. Completion of this phase of the Team Gushue Highway will have a positive impact on residents and businesses in St. John’s West and on our neighbours in Mount Pearl, as the region continues to thrive.”
- The Honourable Siobhan Coady, MHA for St. John's West
Approximately $38.2 million has been invested in the project.
The announcement reflects the goals outlined in The Way Forward: A Vision for Sustainability and Growth in Newfoundland and Labrador, available online at www.gov.nl.ca/pdf/the_way_forward.pdf. The vision guides Provincial Government actions to achieve greater efficiency, strengthen the province’s economic foundation, enhance services, and improve outcomes to promote a healthy and prosperous province.
- The Team Gushue Highway project continues with a tender issued to extend the highway from Kenmount Road to Topsail Road.
- The tender includes paving from Kenmount Road to Topsail Road, construction of overhead sign bridge structures and an underpass for the Topsail Road interchange.
- Work on the project has been ongoing over the past year with the Blackmarsh Road overpass, storm sewers in the Kenmount Road interchange area and engineering work.
- Design work is also ongoing for the Topsail Road overpass. Another tender will be issued for this work in the near future.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Office of the Premier
Manager of Media Relations
Department of Transportation and Works
2017 02 21 2:00 p.m.