Education and Early Childhood Development
February 13, 2017
Recognizing the Work of Educators
Province Celebrates Education Week and Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week
From February 12 to 18, a variety of activities focused on learning and the importance of education will take place in schools throughout the province in recognition of Education Week and Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week.
“As a government, we understand the importance of a quality education for our students, and the role that it plays in the future growth and continued prosperity in Newfoundland and Labrador. We recognize the guidance and influence that teachers, administrators and support staff have on our children’s future success. This is a great opportunity for all students, parents and school communities to let teachers and staff know how much they are valued, and to participate in the many events planned throughout the week.”
- The Honourable Dale Kirby, Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development
Education Week recognizes the work of the two provincial school districts and their schools, school board trustees, school councils, support staff and all volunteers who are committed to providing quality education in Newfoundland and Labrador. This year’s theme is Seeds of Learning: Semer Les Graines.
In addition, Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week recognizes the dedicated work of teachers, administrators and school staff and how their contributions and commitment to education are valued and appreciated.
“Education Week and Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week present an ideal opportunity to express gratitude to the teachers and school staff members who influence our children’s lives. Teachers play a vital role in ensuring that students receive the quality education they need to become leaders of the future. I encourage school councils, parents and school communities to let teachers know how much we appreciate the inspiration, commitment, and professionalism they bring to their schools every day. Thank you to all our teachers and staff members for their dedication to shaping young minds."
- Paulette Fifield, President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of School Councils
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development supports building an educational community in Newfoundland and Labrador that fosters safe, caring and inclusive learning environments for all children and youth.
- February 12-18 is Education Week and Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week.
- This week collectively recognizes the work of teachers, administrators, the two provincial school districts, the school board trustees, school councils, school support staff and all volunteers who are dedicated to providing quality education in this province.
- To learn more about Education Week, visit: www.nlta.nl.ca
- For more information on Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week, visit: www.schoolcouncilsnl.ca/2017/01/teacherstaff-appreciation-week-2017/
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
2017 02 13 10:15 a.m.