Education and Early Childhood Development
January 26, 2017
Supporting Children, Families and Communities
Provincial Government Recognizes National Family Literacy Day
National Family Literacy Day is an initiative created to raise awareness of the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family. It falls annually on January 27.
“It is important that we emphasize to families the importance of reading to children at a young age. Parents and caregivers are our children’s first teachers and play a vital role in literacy development. I encourage families to come together to recognize National Family Literacy Day by taking some time to share in the joy of reading and to celebrate learning and the essential role literacy plays in building crucial skills that help young people throughout their entire lives.”
- The Honourable Dale Kirby, Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Tomorrow (Friday, January 27), Minister Kirby will be in St. John’s to visit the Fort Townshend Child Care Centre at 10:00 a.m. and the Rabbittown Community Centre at 3:30 p.m. in support of National Family Literacy Day.
The Provincial Government supports a number of early learning and literacy initiatives including:
- Offering the K-12 literacy plan, Learning for a Lifetime;
- Supporting the Kinderstart program;
- Partnering with public libraries, family resource centres, child care centres and family child care homes; and,
- Providing Mother Goose programming and Parent Resource Kits that encourage learning at home.
- Family Literacy Day was created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999. This year’s theme is Play for Literacy. For more information, visit: abclifeliteracy.ca/
- January 27 is National Family Literacy Day.
- Family Literacy Day was created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999 as a national initiative to raise awareness of the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family.
- The Provincial Government supports a number of early learning and literacy initiatives aimed at encouraging more reading at home.
- 30 -
Media Relations Manager
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
2017 01 26 4:05 p.m.