Sport Newfoundland and Labrador (Sport NL) held its annual Stars and Legends Awards Gala Saturday evening, April 8, recognizing the achievements and contributions of athletes, coaches and volunteers throughout the province.
Sports enthusiasts gathered at the gala for the announcement of the Provincial Annual Awards and to induct three individuals into the Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame.
The recipients for the 2017 Provincial Annual Awards were chosen by Sport NL’s selection committee from a list of nominees submitted by 55 provincial sport organizations across the province. This year’s recipients are:
- Senior Female Athlete of the Year: Heather Healey (Baseball)
- Senior Male Athlete of the Year: Sean Cleary (Softball)
- Junior Female Athlete of the Year: Camryn Bonia (Athletics)
- Junior Male Athlete of the Year: Liam Hickey (Wheelchair Basketball & Sledge Hockey)
- Executive of the Year: John Cowan (Rugby)
- Volunteer of the Year: Shane Dunphy (Soccer)
- Coach of the Year: Noel Strapp (Wrestling)
- Team of the Year: Team Gushue (Curling)
- Official of the Year: Ryan Garland (Baseball)
The Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony provided formal recognition of the 2017 inductees, who were selected by the Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame Board of Governors in January. The Hall of Fame pays tribute to individuals on the basis of playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contribution to sport. This year’s inductees are:
- Gerald Lomond in the Builder category (Gymnastics)
- Rod Snow in the Athlete category (Rugby)
- Glenn Stanford in the Athlete/Builder category (Soccer/Basketball/Hockey)
Sport Newfoundland and Labrador, which represents 55 provincial sport organizations and more 70,000 individuals, is a volunteer organization committed to the promotion and advancement of amateur sport throughout the province.
“Congratulations to this year’s award winners and Hall of Fame inductees for their hard work and dedication; and thank you to Sport Newfoundland and Labrador, provincial sport organizations, athletes, coaches, managers, parents and volunteers who support athletic excellence at all levels. Our government is committed to supporting sport and recreation and will continue to encourage initiatives that help increase awareness and support healthy living.”
Honourable Sherry Gambin-Walsh
Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development
“Newfoundland and Labrador has exceptional sporting talent in every corner of the province. Our annual Stars and Legends Gala once again showcased and celebrated that talent and the numerous contributions these individuals have made to strengthen amateur sport in our province.”
President, Sport Newfoundland and Labrador
- 30 -
Children, Seniors and Social Development
2017 04 07 11:05 a.m.