Seniors, Wellness and Social Development
January 20, 2016
Promoting Healthy Lifestyles
Weedless Wednesday Highlights Opportunities to Quit Smoking
Today is Weedless Wednesday, an annual event held during National Non-Smoking Week (January 17-23) to encourage smokers to stop smoking for one day – and to let that be the start of a process to quit smoking for good.
“Quitting Takes Practice, Practice Often is the theme of this year’s National Non-Smoking Week. It recognizes that tobacco addiction is very difficult to overcome, and that it doesn’t always happen on the first attempt. Our government is focused on efforts to prevent young people from starting to smoke and to support programs which help people quit. It is crucial that we reduce smoking in this province in order to achieve better health outcomes and lessen the burden on our health care system.”
- The Honourable Sherry Gambin-Walsh, Minister of Seniors, Wellness and Social Development
Established in 1997 by the Canadian Council for Tobacco, National Non-Smoking Week is one of the longest running events in Canada's ongoing public health education efforts. In Newfoundland and Labrador, information and services related to tobacco use are available at: www.swsd.gov.nl.ca/healthyliving/tobaccocontrol.html. One of those services is the Newfoundland and Labrador Lung Association Smokers’ Helpline, which supports approximately 1,400 individuals a year in their efforts to quit smoking.
“We know that the majority of smokers are interested in quitting. Through calling the Smokers’ Helpline, or visiting the helpline’s website, individuals can learn more about the programs and services that are available. There is no pressure to quit right away. Trained coaches provide information and quit tips tailored to the individual.”
- Mary Lynn Pender, Director, NL Lung Association's Smokers' Helpline
Smokers’ Helpline services can be accessed at 1-800-363-5864 or via www.smokershelp.net/ .
- Today is Weedless Wednesday, an annual event held during National Non-Smoking Week (January 17-23).
- Weedless Wednesday is designed to encourage smokers to stop smoking for one day – and to let that be the start of a process to quit smoking for good.
- Quitting Takes Practice, Practice Often is the theme of this year’s National Non-Smoking Week, recognizing that efforts to quit smoking are not always successful on the first attempt.
- For more information on programs and services related to tobacco use in Newfoundland and Labrador, visit: www.swsd.gov.nl.ca/healthyliving/tobaccocontrol.html.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Seniors, Wellness and Social Development
|Mary Lynn Pender
Director, NL Smokers' Helpline
Newfoundland and Labrador Lung Association
709-726-4664, Ext. 216
2016 01 20 10:40 a.m.