December 19, 2016
Supporting Resource Development
New Geoscience Database Encourages Research and Exploration
The Provincial Government has launched a searchable online database of geoscience publications on the western region of the island portion of Newfoundland and Labrador. The initiative was a collaborative effort between the Provincial Government, Research & Development Corporation (RDC), Nalcor Energy, and local geoscience services company, OmniChron Associates Inc.
“Our government continues to support research, exploration and development of our mineral and petroleum resources. With the launch of this searchable database, we are making it easier for those interested in our resources to learn more about what Newfoundland and Labrador has to offer.”
- The Honourable Siobhan Coady, Minister of Natural Resources
The database contains information and publications for the sedimentary basins in Newfoundland and Labrador and will help to identify where additional knowledge can contribute to a broader understanding of the province’s resources. There are links to many types of digital files and publications available, such as seismic data, gravity and magnetic data, subsurface geology, bedrock and surficial maps, academic journal articles and dissertations, industry reports, conference presentations, abstracts and field guidebooks.
“RDC is pleased to have collaborated with the Department of Natural Resources and Nalcor Energy on the development of this geoscience database, which will greatly improve access to Western Newfoundland geoscientific data, improve our understanding of the region’s petroleum potential, and facilitate future research.”
- Mark Ploughman, Acting Chief Executive Officer, Research & Development Corporation
The database can be accessed from the Department of Natural Resources website at www.nr.gov.nl.ca.
- The Provincial Government has launched a searchable online database of geoscience publications about the western region of the island portion of the province.
- The database contains information that will help to identify where additional knowledge can contribute to a broader understanding of the province’s resources.
- The database can be accessed from the Department of Natural Resources website at www.nr.gov.nl.ca.
- 30 -
Media Relations Manager
Department of Natural Resources
Marketing and Communications Specialist
Research & Development Corporation
2016 12 19 11:05 a.m.