March 8, 2016
Celebrating Women’s Accomplishments
Provincial Government Recognizes International Women’s Day
Today the Provincial Government is recognizing International Women’s Day in Newfoundland and Labrador. This year’s national theme is Women’s Empowerment Leads to Equality.
“On this day, women in our province and around the world celebrate our accomplishments, which are many, while we also recognize areas that need additional action. As we celebrate empowerment, I am encouraging girls and women in our province to step up, seek leadership roles and recognize the contributions and unique voice they bring to those roles. Empowered women are able to make choices that meet their own needs and those of their families. When this happens, the world becomes a better place – not just for women, but for us all.”
- The Honourable Cathy Bennett, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women
The Provincial Government, through the Women's Policy Office, is committed to efforts to advance true social, legal, cultural, economic and political equality for all women and girls in Newfoundland and Labrador. Furthering that commitment, last month, the Women’s Policy Office hosted a roundtable on Aboriginal Women in Mining in partnership with the AnânauKatiget Tumingit Regional Inuit Women’s Association.
“There are countless organizations and individuals who advocate for equality, equity and inclusion. Some work in community, some in business and industry, some in government but what we all have in common is a voice – voice for change.”
- Linda Ross, President/CEO, NL Provincial Advisory Council on the Status of Women
Since the early 1900s, International Women’s Day has been celebrated at thousands of events that are held annually around the world to inspire women and celebrate their achievements. More information can be found at www.un.org/en/events/womensday .
- The Provincial Government is recognizing International Women’s Day in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- This year’s national theme is Women’s Empowerment Leads to Equality.
- The Provincial Government, through the Women's Policy Office, is committed to efforts to advance true social, legal, cultural, economic and political equality for all women and girls in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Finance
2016 03 08 12:30 p.m.