Education and Early Childhood Development
February 15, 2016
Recognizing Those Committed to Student Success
Provincial Government Celebrates Education Week
To celebrate education and the importance of learning, the Provincial Government and the Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association proclaimed February 14-20 as Education Week during an opening ceremonies event held at St. Bernard’s Elementary in Witless Bay.
“During Education Week we recognize the value of education and its importance in building a strong foundation to support the future of students, and inevitably, the future of Newfoundland and Labrador. This week also acknowledges those who devote so much of their time and energies to the education, development and growth of our young people. I would like to thank all members of the school community – teachers, students, support staff, school trustees and volunteers – for their vital contributions to our education system.”
- The Honourable Dale Kirby, Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development
Education Week has been celebrated in Newfoundland and Labrador since 1936 and it recognizes the work of the two provincial school districts, school board trustees, school councils, staff and all volunteers who are dedicated to providing quality education in this province. This year’s theme is Teachers Change Lives Every Day.
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development is responsible for building an educational community in Newfoundland and Labrador that fosters safe, caring and inclusive learning environments for all children and youth.
- February 14-20 is Education Week in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The theme of Education Week is Teachers Change Lives Every Day.
- This week serves to recognize the work of teachers, the two provincial school districts, the school board trustees, school councils, school staff and all volunteers who are dedicated to providing quality education in this province.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association sponsors and organizes Education Week in Newfoundland and Labrador. To learn more about Education Week, visit: www.nlta.nl.ca
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
2016 02 15 10:25 a.m.