October 30, 2015
Supporting Residents in Newfoundland and Labrador
Minister Releases Report on Province's Electricity System
The Honourable Derrick Dalley, Minister of Natural Resources, today released a review of the province's electrical system completed by Power Advisory LLC.
"The independent review undertaken by Power Advisory provided us with best practices as we move from an isolated to an interconnected electricity system. The review provides an overview of the present electricity system and identifies options for operation, management and regulation. I am pleased that many of the best practices identified in the review are in line with actions already being considered. This review will be valuable to the Provincial Government and to stakeholders in the electricity system as we prepare to connect with the North American grid."
- The Honourable Derrick Dalley, Minister of Natural Resources
Power Advisory LLC was hired in August 2014 to complete an independent review of Newfoundland and Labrador's electricity system. The review was completed in three parts: an overview of the provincial electricity system; governance, legislation and regulations; and system reliability.
"For this project we performed a comprehensive review of the province's electricity sector and best practices across Canada. Based on this review, we identified a wide range of best practices that could be employed, a number of which were focused on assisting the province to capitalize on the significant opportunities offered by its renewable resource potential."
- John Dalton, President, Power Advisory LLC
The approach taken in the review reflects the principles in the 2007 Energy Plan, including commitments to streamline regulatory processes, to ensure the province can accommodate the structural changes associated with the Lower Churchill Project, and to maximize electricity export value. The complete review is available at www.nr.gov.nl.ca/nr/publications/energy/index.html.
- The Honourable Derrick Dalley, Minister of Natural Resources, today released a review of the province's electrical system completed by Power Advisory LLC.
- The independent review undertaken by Power Advisory provides best practices as the province moves from an isolated to an interconnected electricity system.
- The Provincial Government announced an independent review of the provincial electricity system on January 9, 2014.
- Power Advisory LLC was the successful bidder for the contract in August 2014 following a public request for proposals process.
- The final review was submitted on October 26, 2015 and is available at www.nr.gov.nl.ca/nr/publications/energy/index.html
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Natural Resources
Power Advisory LLC
2015 10 30 11:00 a.m.