Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs
October 29, 2015
Supporting Waste Management Services
Work Begins Following Award of Contract for Waste Transfer Stations on West Coast
A contract has been awarded to Mike Kelly & Sons Limited valued at over $38 million for the construction of six waste transfer stations on the west coast of the province.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates our government’s commitment to continuing with the implementation of the Provincial Waste Management Strategy. The awarding of this contract is a significant step forward in putting in place the necessary infrastructure to provide the residents and businesses on the west coast with an economical and environmentally friendly waste management system.”
- The Honourable Keith Hutchings, Minister of Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs
The contract includes construction of the six transfer stations and includes site development, transfer station infrastructure, material handling equipment and transport trailers. The six transfer stations will be located in Port aux Basques, Burgeo, St. Georges, Wild Cove, Rocky Harbour and Hampden.
“Today is a significant milestone for waste management on the West Coast. Once the transfer stations are constructed, they will assist with ensuring a modern three stream waste management system for the residents and businesses on the west coast. This will include recycling, organics diversion and proper disposal of waste in a lined landfill.”
- Don Downer, Chair, Western Regional Service Board
Approximately $33 million is being utilized from the Federal Gas Tax allocation with the remainder being provided through provincial funding. It is anticipated that the transfer system will become operational beginning in 2018.
The Provincial Government is continuing to invest in the Provincial Waste Management Strategy with a plan to complete a province-wide network of transfer stations and waste recovery facilities by 2020 and develop full-scale organic waste management infrastructure by 2025.
- A contract has been awarded to Mike Kelly & Sons Limited valued at over $38 million for the construction of six waste transfer stations on the west coast of the province.
- The six transfer stations will be located in Port aux Basques, Burgeo, St. Georges, Wild Cove, Rocky Harbour and Hampden.
- It is anticipated that the transfer system will become operational beginning in 2018.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs
Western Regional Service Board
2015 10 29 3:40 p.m.