Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs
October 27, 2015
Investing in Safer Communities
New Fire Hall Will Support the Work of Firefighters in Baie Verte Area
The Honourable Keith Hutchings, Minister of Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs, was joined by Kevin Pollard, MHA for Baie Verte - Springdale and Clar Brown, Mayor of the Town of Baie Verte today, to officially open a new $2.1 million fire hall in the community.
"Ensuring volunteer fire fighters have access to modern infrastructure is important and the Provincial Government is committed to working with communities to strengthen fire protection services. The new $2.1 million fire hall better positions the fire fighters to provide enhanced fire protection services in the community."
- The Honourable Keith Hutchings, Minister of Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs
The 574 square metre building houses a three bay garage, equipment storage room, a training room and office space for the Fire Chief.
"This new fire hall is a welcome addition to the District of Baie Verte - Springdale and in particular, the Town of Baie Verte. I thank the council and fire fighters who have worked to ensure the successful completion of this building. I am confident this facility will serve the dedicated fire fighters as they focus on protecting residents in this area."
- Kevin Pollard, MHA for Baie Verte - Springdale
Funding for this project is cost-shared, with the Provincial Government providing 90 per cent and the Town of Baie Verte covering the remaining 10 per cent.
"I thank the Provincial Government for their commitment to fire services. This new infrastructure is a considerable investment that will bring many benefits to the Town of Baie Verte, the surrounding region and in particular strengthen the capability of our volunteer fire fighters."
- Clar Brown, Mayor, Town of Baie Verte
The Provincial Government continues to advance efforts in facilities, fire truck and equipment funding, training, and support for the close to 5,900 volunteer fire fighters across Newfoundland and Labrador.
- A new $2.1 million fire hall has been opened in Baie Verte to improve safety services in the community.
- The 574 square metre building houses a three bay garage, equipment storage room, a training room and office space for the Fire Chief.
- The Provincial Government is providing 90 per cent of funding and the municipality is covering the remaining 10 per cent.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Municipal and Intergovernmental Affairs
Constituency Assistant to Kevin Pollard, MHA for Baie Verte - Springdale
Town of Baie Verte
2015 10 27 11:20 a.m.