Health and Community Services
September 18, 2015
Strengthening Health Care Facilities for Residents and Families
Northern Peninsula Receives Investment of Approximately $1.75 million for Health Care
Residents of the Northern Peninsula region will benefit from an investment of approximately $1.75 million in health care equipment and infrastructure.
“Newfoundlanders and Labradorians can be confident that our government will continue to provide new equipment and invest in infrastructure upgrades for health care facilities. As part of the Population Growth Strategy, we are ensuring that individuals and families who choose to live in our province have access to quality health care programs and services.”
- The Honourable Steve Kent, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Community Services
An allocation of $530,000 will be used for the purchase of new beds, rails and a wanderguard system for long-term care at the John M. Gray Health Centre in St. Anthony.
In addition, approximately $825,000 will be used for upgrades and equipment at Charles S. Curtis Memorial Hospital in St. Anthony. An allocation of $500,000 will support the ongoing work to upgrade the electrical system at the facility. The remaining $325,000 will be used for the purchase of items such as replacement beds, a mammography workstation, stretchers for ambulatory care and the emergency department, and equipment for the operating room.
At the White Bay Central Health Centre in Roddickton, an investment of $63,000 will be used for the purchase of a portable ultrasound machine and a commercial dishwasher.
“Labrador-Grenfell Health welcomed the opportunity to work with the Department of Health and Community Services to identify and assess its infrastructure and equipment needs for health care facilities at St. Anthony and Roddickton. The investment enhances our ability to deliver quality health care services to clients and long-term care residents and addresses several key elements of our infrastructure needs now and into the future.”
- Tony Wakeham, President and Chief Executive Officer, Labrador-Grenfell Health
Over $313,000 has been allocated at the Bonne Bay Health Centre in Norris Point to be used for the purchase of a radiography unit for medical imaging, a base radio to support paramedicine operations, and a commercial dishwasher.
Of this investment, approximately $23,000 will be used at Rufus Guinchard Health Care Centre in Port Saunders to purchase a steam generator and an oven for nutrition services.
“Western Health thanks the Provincial Government for their continued support for the purchase of new equipment for the Bonne Bay Health Care Centre and Rufus Guinchard Health Centre. This funding will enhance our ability to provide quality health care services to the residents we serve on the Northern Peninsula.”
- Dr. Susan Gillam, President and Chief Executive Officer, Western Health
Budget 2015 includes a total of $133.7 million to ensure access to new and modern health care facilities and equipment for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, including $40 million for new health care equipment and $20 million for repair and renovation projects.
- Residents of the Northern Peninsula region will benefit from an investment of approximately $1.75 million in health care equipment and infrastructure at the John M. Gray Health Centre and Charles S. Curtis Memorial Hospital in St. Anthony, Bonne Bay Health Centre in Norris Point, Rufus Guinchard Health Care Centre in Port Saunders, and White Bay Central Health Centre in Roddickton.
- Budget 2015 includes a total of $133.7 million to ensure access to new and modern health care facilities and equipment for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.
- Live Here, Work Here, Belong Here, A Population Growth Strategy for Newfoundland and Labrador, 2015-2025 is the Provincial Government’s 10-year plan to support individuals and families. For more information visit: homeforgoodnl.ca .
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Health and Community Services
Regional Director of Communications
|Tara J. Pye
Director of Communications (Acting)
2015 09 18 10:05 a.m.