October 28, 2015
Advancing Action on Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
Provincial Government Releases Market Transformation Framework
The Provincial Government today released a framework designed to build upon existing initiatives to tackle climate change and improve energy efficiency. The Market Transformation Framework will support better access to energy efficient and lower greenhouse gas emitting goods and services in Newfoundland and Labrador.
"Consumers and businesses are increasingly shifting toward energy efficient products and services, but gaps remain in the awareness, availability, accessibility and affordability of these products in some areas, and government can play a role in supporting this shift. Under the leadership of Premier Davis, we are laying the foundation for a future with cleaner energy production and more efficient usage of our resources"
- The Honourable Dan Crummell, Minister Responsible for the Office of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
The framework will support increased awareness and availability of such products and services so that they become more common in the marketplace and widely adopted by consumers. This will help to lower greenhouse gas emission and increase energy efficiency, while supporting growth in the green economy and creating economic benefits.
"Market transformation has the potential to support economic growth and job creation. It can support consumers' access to products and services that save them money, and generate new opportunities for businesses that can supply energy efficient products and services in the province and beyond."
- Minister Crummell
The Market Transformation Framework will be implemented over five years and a progress report will be completed midway. The framework can be found at www.exec.gov.nl.ca/exec/ccee/publications/market_trans_framework.pdf .
The Office of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency has been leading the development and implementation of strategies and policies to address climate change and energy efficiency since its establishment, including the 2011 Climate Change and Energy Efficiency Action Plans and the 2015 Greening Government Action Plan.
- The Provincial Government today released a framework designed to build upon existing climate change and energy efficiency initiatives.
- Heating and servicing homes, powering transportation and other products and services, such as appliances and equipment, have a significant impact on the amount of energy consumed and greenhouses gases generated in the province.
- Approximately 60 per cent of energy consumption in the province is used to heat and service homes and buildings and to power transportation, and these areas are responsible for approximately 45 per cent of total GHGs emitted in the province.
- The framework will be implemented over five years and a progress report will be completed midway. The framework can be found at www.exec.gov.nl.ca/exec/ccee/publications/market_trans_framework.pdf .
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Office of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
Department of Environment and Conservation
2015 10 28 2:00 p.m.