Innovation, Business and Rural Development
June 4, 2014
Strategic Investments Strengthen Opportunities for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
Over $136,000 Invested to Support Environmentally-Focused Business Opportunities
The Newfoundland and Labrador Environmental Industry Association (NEIA) will receive Provincial Government funding totalling $136,566 to support trade activities for members and for overall operations.
“Our investment of $136,566 will support NEIA with their operations and will help local businesses focus on prospective trade opportunities that have an environmental focus. As a result of work to secure trade activities, it is anticipated that participating organizations will increase their export sales and awareness of international business development opportunities.”
- The Honourable Susan Sullivan, Minister of Innovation, Business and Rural Development
Funding includes an operating grant for NEIA to support work to promote the growth and development of the environmental industry in Newfoundland and Labrador. The funding also supports the association’s efforts to implement a suite of pre-market entry activities that prepare members to pursue long-term trade, primarily in the Caribbean. Small and medium-sized businesses who participate will have the opportunity to identify business development prospects that will help increase productivity.
“The Caribbean is of considerable interest to several of our members and many local firms are already doing business in the region. With the Department of Innovation, Business and Rural Development’s funding, our local environmental firms can better pursue procurement opportunities in the Caribbean supported by international financial institutions such as the World Bank, Caribbean Development Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank. This funding will directly assist firms in identifying business opportunities and developing market-entry strategies.”
- Ted Lomond, Executive Director, NEIA
NEIA is a non-profit association of businesses that promotes the growth and development of the environmental industry in Newfoundland and Labrador. With over 150 members, NEIA is the province’s premier resource for the environmental sector, offering a diverse range of expert knowledge and services that focus on training tailored to environmental sector employees; building tools to encourage and foster innovation and productivity; export and international trade guidance; as well as leadership on policy and advocacy issues.
- The Provincial Government is providing NEIA with an operating grant of $100,000 to support their efforts to promote the growth and development of the environmental industry in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- $36,566 in funding is being provided to NEIA to support the association’s efforts to implement a suite of pre-market entry activities that prepare members to pursue long term trade, primarily in the Caribbean.
- Small and medium-sized businesses which participate will have the opportunity to identify business development prospects that will help increase productivity.
- Additional information on NEIA can be found at: www.neia.org
- 30 -
| Jennifer Tulk
Director of Communications
Department of Innovation, Business and Rural Development
Manager of Policy & Communications
Newfoundland & Labrador Environmental Industry Association
2014 06 04 3:35 p.m.