Fisheries and Aquaculture
November 21, 2014
Supporting Continuous Improvement in the Fishery
Allen’s Fisheries Receives Over $99,000 to Implement New Processing Technology
A crab processing facility on the west coast of the province is receiving support from the Provincial Government to test new processing technology that could benefit producers throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. The Honourable Vaughn Granter, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture, today announced $99,780 to help Allen’s Fisheries Limited integrate new processing technology to enhance quality, productivity and product yield at the facility.
“Our government is committed to helping the processing sector pursue innovations that give the province’s seafood industry competitive advantage in the global marketplace. I am pleased to announce more than $99,000 to help Allen’s Fisheries adopt new processing technology. The information gained through this project could prove beneficial for the entire provincial snow crab processing industry.”
- The Honourable Vaughn Granter, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture
The project is funded through the Fisheries Technology and New Opportunities Program, which supports projects aimed at enhancing the harvesting, processing and marketing of provincial seafood, as well as supporting innovation in the aquaculture industry. Allen’s Fisheries Limited plans to have its processing line reconfigured with the new equipment for the start of the 2015 processing season.
“Allen’s Fisheries is always focused on producing the best quality product and using the most efficient technology possible. We expect this new semi-automated butchering equipment will help us achieve gains in both areas, and we thank the Provincial Government for supporting our trial of this equipment.”
- Richard Allen, Vice-President of Allen’s Fisheries Limited
Snow crab has been the most valuable seafood export produced by the province in recent years. In 2013 it was valued at over $355 million.
- Minister Granter announced $99,780 today to support Allen’s Fisheries Limited with the implementation of a new production layout that includes new crab processing equipment.
- Allen’s Fisheries Limited is located in Benoit’s Cove.
- Budget 2014: Shared Prosperity, Fair Society, Balanced Outlook includes $4 million over the next two years for the Fisheries Technology and New Opportunities Program.
- 30 -
Director of Communications
Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture
2014 11 21 10:55 a.m.