The Provincial Government remains committed to enhancing the quality, accessibility, and affordability of regulated child care services for families with young children throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Budget 2014 allocates an additional $11.4 million for child care services, bringing the province’s total child care budget to approximately $42.5 million. This funding will focus on continuing to implement the 10-year child care strategy, Caring For Our Future: Provincial Strategy for Quality, Sufficient and Affordable Child Care in Newfoundland and Labrador. Key investments under the strategy include:
Child Care Services Subsidy
• $15.7 million to assist eligible families with child care rates in a licensed child care centre or regulated family child care home through the Child Care Services Subsidy.
Operating Grant Program
• $9.7 million to implement a new voluntary operating grant program to provide funding to eligible child care centres that set child care rates at the provincial subsidy rate and meet program criteria.
Early Learning and Child Care Supplement
• $6.1 million for qualified Level I early childhood educators working directly with children in a homeroom to receive a total annual supplement of $6,660, and Level II program operators to receive a total annual supplement of $10,000.
Child Care Capacity Initiative
• $1.8 million to provide start-up grants for non-profit community-based organizations offering regulated child care services through the Child Care Capacity Initiative.
Inclusion Supports Program
• $1.8 million for the Inclusion Supports Program to provide additional staff or funded spaces to accommodate all children in regular child care programming.
Family Child Care Initiative
• $1 million for the Family Child Care Initiative that provides regulated child care spaces with an emphasis on spaces for infants, as well as an opportunity for individuals to enter and remain in the labour market either by becoming a regulated family child care provider or by availing of the regulated family child care spaces.
Workplace Training Program
• $500,000 to commence a workplace training program that will include prior learning and assessment and recognition to support early childhood educators upgrading their qualifications.
- 30 -Media contact:
2014 03 27 2:40 p.m.