Natural Resources
January 29, 2009

Lewisporte Area Domestic Cutters Advised to Obtain New Maps

The Department of Natural Resources, Forestry and Agrifoods Agency, is issuing new maps to accompany domestic cutting permits for domestic cutting areas 19 and 22 in Forest Management District (FMD) 8.

All domestic wood cutters in these areas must obtain new maps, which will replace those issued for areas 19 and 22 prior to the passage of the Abitibi-Consolidated Rights and Assets Act in the House of Assembly on December 16, 2008. This legislation revoked timber and water rights from AbitibiBowater and returned them to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Due to the expropriation process the Provincial Government can no longer authorize people to cut wood on land owned by Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Ltd. and formerly transferred to AbitibiBowater. Individuals with a FMD 8 domestic cutting permit for areas 19 and 22 should visit the Lewisporte District Forestry Office or the Gander Regional Office to receive new maps. They can also choose to change their domestic harvest areas.

The Provincial Government is continuing to work through the issues related to the transfer of timber and hydro assets to the province and does not want to disrupt any more than necessary people who have traditionally accessed Corner Brook Pulp and Paper lands in domestic areas 19 and 22 in FMD 8.

"In the case of those who have domestic cutting permits from the Crown on the Corner Brook Pulp and Paper limits for harvesting fire wood, we will provide the opportunity to those permit holders to either continue cutting with the updated maps or request a change of domestic cutting area," said the Honourable Kathy Dunderdale, Minister of Natural Resources and the Minister Responsible for the Forestry and Agrifoods Agency.

A Crown domestic cutting permit is required to harvest and transport fuelwood from Crown or public land for personal use. There is no charge for the new maps or to request a change in cutting area. The department will no longer issue any new Crown permits on Corner Brook Pulp and Paper limits.

Further information can be obtained by contacting the Lewisporte District Forestry Office at 709-535-2706 or the Gander Regional office at 709-256-1450. For information on domestic cutting permits, or to view the new maps, please visit:

Conservation officers are conducting regular patrols to check on permit holders and assess illegal activity.

- 30 -

Media contact:

Tracy Barron
Director of Communications
Department of Natural Resources
709-729-5282, 690-8241

2009 01 29                                                   12:00 p.m.

SearchHomeBack to GovernmentContact Us

All material copyright the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. No unauthorized copying or redeployment permitted. The Government assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of any material deployed on an unauthorized server.
Disclaimer/Copyright/Privacy Statement