Transportation and Works
November 17, 2006
Government Plans to Demolish Former Grace Hospital Building
The Honourable John Hickey, Minister of
Transportation and Works, announced today that government will issue a
tender next week for the demolition of the remaining hospital building
at the former Grace Hospital site LeMarchant Road, St. John’s. If that
building, constructed in the 1960s, is demolished, only the nurses’
residence would remain on the site.
The first Grace Hospital was constructed
in 1922 and was known as the Grace Maternity Hospital. Major extensions
were added in 1955 and 1965 and a nurses’ residence was added in 1964.
The facility is currently known as the Grace General Hospital and is
owned by the Department of Health and Community Services (HCS) and was
operated by the Health Care Corporation of St. John’s. Upon the facility
being vacated, responsibility for the facility was turned over to the
Department of Transportation and Works.
All material copyright the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. No unauthorized copying or redeployment permitted. The Government assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of any material deployed on an unauthorized server.