March 1, 2006
(Transportation and Works)
Port au Port area roads will be improved
Trevor Taylor, Minister of Transportation and Works, today announced road improvements for the Port au Port area totaling over $2.26 million under the 2006-07 Provincial Roads Improvement Program.
"I am pleased to announce road projects for the Port au Port area which will benefit residents and the traveling public," said Minister Taylor. "This major funding is yet another example of government’s commitment to provide better roads in our province."
The road improvements planned for the Port au Port area, which include some carry over from last year, are as follows:
Port au Port MHA Jim Hodder said: "This funding will go a long way to improve road conditions in the area and will provide a safer and more comfortable traveling experience for all motorists."
Government has pre-committed $60 million in the 2006-07 budget for the Provincial Roads Improvement Program, which includes $48.4 million in new money and $11.6 million carried over from the 2005-06 construction season.
The Provincial Roads Improvement Program has doubled in value from $30 million in 2004-05 to $60 million in 2006-07.
This is the earliest the department has received budget approval in decades, which allows the tendering and construction processes to begin much sooner.
Media contact: David Salter, Communications, (709) 729-3015, 691-3577
2006 03 01 9:30 a.m.
All material copyright the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. No unauthorized copying or redeployment permitted. The Government assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of any material deployed on an unauthorized server.