February 8, 2006
(Transportation and Works)
Exploits roads get major make-over
Trevor Taylor, Minister of Transportation and Works, today announced more than $1.89 million worth of road and bridge work for Exploits.
"The work to be completed as a result of this funding will go a long way towards addressing the identified infrastructure needs of the area and will be of great benefit to both residents and tourists," said Minister Taylor.
Funding is being provided to:
Funding for the projects is made available under the 2006-07 Provincial Roads Improvement Program.
Exploits MHA Clayton Forsey is pleased that government has followed through on its commitment to make much-needed road improvements.
"Roads in the area had been deteriorating for some time and we’re happy the situation is being rectified," said Mr. Forsey.
"The Exploits region is a haven for tourists. In fact, tourism is one of the most significant industries in Botwood and the surrounding areas. As anyone who’s been there knows, every summer, caravans of RVs and motor homes from all across North America travel there to experience the beauty first hand. This announcement shows government is committed to providing safe roads for tourists and locals alike," said Mr. Forsey.
As part of the Provincial Roads Program, government has pre-committed $60 million in the 2006-07 budget, which includes $48.4 million in new money and $11.6 million carried over from the previous construction season.
This is the earliest the department has received budget approval in decades which allows the tendering and construction processes to begin much sooner.
Media contact: David Salter, Transportation and Works, (709) 729-3015, 691-3577
2006 02 08 10:20 a.m.
All material copyright the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. No unauthorized copying or redeployment permitted. The Government assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of any material deployed on an unauthorized server.